Unlike my last one, this post is safe to read :) I survived hell week with a shred of sanity left, so for that I am grateful! The event went well; there were certainly a few minor heart attacks, but everything turned out well. The attendees were very grateful for everything that we did as hosts, and my coworkers were quick to praise and recognize all of the hard work that I (and my supervisor) put in to this event, so that was definitely a huge confidence boost.
On Friday night, after Day One of the event, I met up with Dan for a delicious Italian dinner at Paper Moon. We both wanted something quick and delicious, as it was kind of on the late side for dinner, and this did not disappoint. I was so grateful to even get to spend a few short hours with him on Friday, being that we had only had that one day together last week, after a tough day for both of us. I was literally giddy with excitement when I met up with him after the event. I was exhausted after the event, so conked out shortly after we started watching the recording of the U.S. Open golf tournament. I would have attempted to stay up, but being that I had a 6:15 wakeup call looming the next morning, I knew that I needed some serious shut-eye. He is such a champ for putting up with me on the nights when I have to be totally boring and go to sleep early because I have work events that begin early in the morning.
It was definitely tough to be out and about and walking across the bridge at 6:30 a.m. on a Saturday morning, but I knew that I just had to make it through a half-day of the event. As I said, there were a few blips, but overall, everything turned out well. I briefly met up with Colleen after the event, and then went to the gym to blow off some serious steam (in actuality, it was a struggle to not pass out). I napped for 45 minutes (if you know me, you will know that, however chronic my lack of sleep may be, it is almost never enough to entice me to nap. This was the exception to the rule) before meeting up with Lauren in Georgetown. We saw "The Nine Parts of Desire," a play originally written by an Iraqi-American playwright and acted in by American actresses. When we saw it, it was peformed in Arabic by an Iraqi woman, and there were English subtitles on a screen behind her. She depicted the lives of ordinary Iraqui woman, attempting to convey their constant pain and suffering. It was definitely a powerful play, but, although Lauren speaks some Arabic, we both agreed that we felt as though there had been a lot lost in translation (meaning that she was actually saying more than that which was translated into subtitles). I am glad that we saw it, but, given how exhausted I still was after the event, I was eager to leave, even though we left in the middle of the post-play discussion. We ended up meeting up at Tombs with Dan, and it was, as it tends to be in the summer, empty. That was nice for us, as it afforded us the chance to take our pick of tables, which you just can't do during the school year, but, at the same time, it was bizarre to see it so empty. I hadn't been there to go out since Dan and I went last summer for a quick drink, so it was nice to be back in my former second home :)
On Sunday morning, the tables were turned, as Dan left before 7 for an 8:30 tee time. My parents picked me up at 9 so we could spend Father's Day with my grandparents. My dad and I went for a nice hike up and down the ski slopes (the inclines and declines were DEFINITELY steep. I am SORE today!!!) and then we hung out at the pool for a bit. We had dinner and headed home, and I literally went right to bed, as we didn't make it home until almost 10. I felt so blessed to be able to spend Father's Day with two of the most important men in my life, my dad and Grampsy. I have said it before and I will say it again, I am infinitely lucky to have my family so close by, and I cherish the time that I get to spend with them. We are going up to NY to see my dad's family in July as well, which I am very excited for, as I have not seen them in a long time.
I am looking forward to what will hopefully be a more relaxing week this week!!!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment