Two years ago yesterday, I walked {okay, more like power-walked, because, due to a bus that was behind schedule, I was running uncharacteristically late} into Saloon on U St. for my first date with "some guy". I looked to my right, and there was the guy that I assumed I was meeting for drinks, tucked away at a little table for two. Knowing now how obsessive-compulsive I am about being on time, that same guy still gives me grief, two years later, for being a couple of minutes late {in my defense, I did text him to let him know that I would be a little bit late!}. What followed was the best first date that I've ever been on, and, well, you know how it goes. The rest is history.
Little did I know, two years later that same guy would not only be the love of my life, but also my best friend. Dan has brought innumerable blessings to my life, and I can't really remember what my life was like before I met him. The mention of his name still brings a smile to my face, and, on the days that I get to see him, I look forward to it all day long. I can honestly say that I didn't know what true, unconditional love felt like until I met him, and I am so proud to be able to call him my boyfriend.
This year, we celebrated our anniversary by going out to dinner at Acqua al 2, which, as you may remember, I raved about last month after some girlfriends and I went there for a friend's birthday. Think yummy Italian food at its finest and that is what you get when you dine at Acqua al 2. We split a delicious burrata appetizer with pomegranate seeds, spaghetti squash and honey {truly the perfect winter dish}, and, for our entrees, I ordered the farfalline alla zucca {bowtie pasta with pumpkin} and Dan opted for the balsamic filet. So freaking delicious. I was truly in foodie heaven :) From there, we metroed to Iron Horse to watch the Georgetown game. Since I gave up drinking for Lent {mostly in preparation for my race}, I opted for a couple Shirley Temples {I probably shocked the bartender with that request!}, and we watched our Hoyas avoid a trap game loss to Rutgers. Side note: this upcoming Saturday is the Cuse rematch, and I am beyond excited! I'm thrilled that we'll get to be there!
On Sunday morning, we went to our favorite bagel place, I baked Dan an anniversary dessert {think cookie cake!}, we caught up on Homeland, went for a walk around Roosevelt Island, and had a nice, romantic anniversary dinner at District Taco haha, which suited me just fine :) My top priority was spending time with him on our anniversary, which I got to do, so, therefore, was one happy gal!
I had gotten Dan a photo book that I put together to include some of my favorite memories from the past two years that I've captured on film {see, he should be THANKFUL that I'm an incurable photog!}, and he gave me the sweetest card, along with a massage gift certificate {BLESS HIM! I will redeem that after the marathon for a deep tissue sports massage!} and a voucher for one home-cooked meal. Dan does not like to cook, although I doubt he would be half-bad at it if he tried, and, despite his acknowledgement that something easier would have a better chance of actually tasting good, I told him I had confidence in him that he could make me anything and I would like it. I'll have to do some scheming to see how I can test him...MUAHHHH!
It really was a perfect anniversary weekend, and I can't wait to see what this next year holds for us! We have some very exciting things in store this year, which I'll fill all of you in on as they come, and I anticipate that we will have grown in our relationship by even larger leaps and bounds by this time next year!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
Aw, happy anniversary to you two! Isn't love just the BEST?
ReplyDeleteXOXO,
Stacey