I was reading an article this morning about Louis Zamperini, the inspiration behind the book {and now movie} "Unbroken", and it really resonated with me. I have always been interested in World War II and the accomplishments of the "Greatest Generation" ever since I can remember, and I am so excited to begin reading the book, in the hopes of devouring it before the movie comes out next month.
My paternal grandparents, who passed away 14 and 16 years ago, respectively, have continued to be a moral compass for our family. There is never a dry eye whenever Pop Pop and Ma are brought up at family dinners and celebrations {this happens frequently}. Our entire extended family truly does feel them looking down on us in everything that they do, and, being that I was young when they passed away, I often find myself wishing that I had had more time to get to know this indomitable couple. Pop Pop was a doctor who served as an Army medic in the Pacific theater during WWII, and his unit was the subject of a children's book that has become a family heirloom. From what my dad has told me, Dr. Bonanno, as he is known in the book, didn't like to talk about his military experience when he returned home.
He became a highly respected OB-GYN and a pillar of his community whose name still elicits excited exclamations throughout the region. He easily could have bragged about his experiences in the war or as a professional, but Pop Pop wasn't a bragger. Similar to Zamperini, he believed in doing things the right way, coming by success honestly, and treating others with compassion, which endeared him to many in his community. He based his actions on what he felt was right, rather than what he felt would gain him the most recognition. As I reflected on Veterans Day yesterday, my mind instantly went to Pop Pop. His generation, and Zamperini's, selflessly put themselves in harm's way and brushed it off as only "doing their job". The families of those soldiers, too, made incredible sacrifices during World War II, and I would imagine that that experience turned Ma into the resilient, tough-as-nails lady that she was. She raised an army of five children {some, like my dad, highly unruly ones} and raised them to be respectful, compassionate and hardworking individuals. My dad and his siblings would not be the exceptional people that they are today without the strong core values that Pop Pop and Ma instilled in them.
Zamperini made a few references in his interview to people who approach their lives in the wrong way in my generation, whether they are using banned substances to get ahead on the playing field or letting their lives be dominated by hatred for others. While he admitted to a dark period in his life immediately following the war where his hatred for his Japanese captors led him to be self-destructive, he later chose to live his life with gratitude and forgiveness, which I know I can certainly learn a lesson from, particularly now that I am in a job that I dislike and in a highly dysfunctional office. I think my generation could learn a thing or two from the greatest generation about working hard without expecting any reward, coming by our success honestly and treating others who have wronged us with compassion. I know that the article provided me with some serious food for thought moving forward, and I hope you enjoy it as well! Even though this is a day late, I am so grateful for the sacrifices that our men and women in uniform, as well as their families, make day after day to keep us safe.
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment