I like my job, I do. But one thing that has become increasingly apparent to me over my time here is that my job is not particularly intellectually stimulating, at least not in the same way that college was. Sure, I can hone my expertise at computer programs and HTML code by attending classes and teaching myself, but that doesn't necessarily give me the same satisfaction as writing papers and engaging in thought-provoking classroom discussion. I can virtually guarantee you that I am not alone, because nearly all of the people I know express a similar sentiment. I have been feeling for months that I need to do something to challenge myself, and, by golly, I think I've found it.
My friend Lauren participated in a class called fem•ex, which found its origins as a women's empowerment class at UC Berkeley. It has evolved into a grassroots organization aimed at providing women (particularly young professionals) with a safe space to discuss the questions and issues related to being a 21st-century American woman. After hearing Lauren's glowing appraisal of the course, I couldn't resist signing up, thinking that this would be a great way to engage some incredible young women, have my beliefs challenged and challenge others' beliefs. I think that the class will also be helpful as, more and more, I am beginning to formulate my own political opinions, particularly those related to reproductive rights, women's health and women in politics. The sessions are held once a week at one of the participants' homes, and lasts 3 hours.
I just had my first class last night, and I was blown away by how much I enjoyed it! The theme for the week was Sex, Gender & Anatomy (sheesh, they had us jump right in there!), and I definitely learned a lot and appreciated the viewpoints of the other members of the class. Next week's topic is Communication, something that I am constantly striving to improve at. I think that this class is civil discourse at its finest, because women from all different backgrounds are able to have a civil discussion about very controversial topics. I am really excited to delve into more topics as they come along, as well as get to know this amazing and self-selecting group of women!!
To learn more about fem•ex, click here.
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment