Friday, March 2, 2012

A Very Special Day

I confess, I just stared at my computer screen for five minutes, trying to figure out how I wanted to write this post.  I have been anticipating March 3 for weeks (okay, maybe months) now, and even though it is almost upon us, I still have difficulty finding the words to describe what I'm feeling right now.

A year ago tomorrow (March 3), I went on a first date with a guy.  I was running slightly late (thanks to my bus) and, when faced with the choice to walk or metro to the bar where we had agreed to meet, I put my trust in my long legs to get me there more quickly.  A 20-minute power walk later, I arrived at Saloon, feeling (and looking, I'm sure!) like a hot mess, and apologized profusely, insisting that I am never late (I know that everyone always says that, but, in my case, it could not be more accurate).  We had a great first date- no, the best first date I've ever been on- complete with easy conversation and lots of laughter, and, at the end of the night, when he kissed me goodbye before scampering off the Metro, I had an inkling that he could be someone special. Somehow, despite some spilled water on my part (I think I was still recovering from my power walk) and the slight (less than 5 minutes) lateness, he still liked me enough to hang out again...thank God!  We were even joking the other day that it is a wonder that we went out again, being that we were both probably miserable from being in the middle of our Lenten deprivation (he gives up all soda and I give up all sweets, a huge sacrifice for both of us!)!

A year later, I have gone on many a date with Dan, but he still manages to bring a smile to my face every day, in a way that no one else can.  When I came back from Texas on Tuesday night, we were reunited in the cafe of the Whole Foods near my apartment, and I thought my face would break from how broadly I was smiling.  I am generally a happy person, but my happiness has shot through the roof since meeting Dan, and for that I am eternally grateful.  Speaking of grateful, the word gratitude is a word that has entered my daily vernacular since we started dating.  I give so much thanks every day for the fact that he came into my life, and I can't imagine my life without him.  I don't want to gush too much, because I know that he reads occasionally (and I don't want to embarrass him!), but he really does make me feel like the luckiest girl in the world :)

I can't wait to celebrate our anniversary this weekend!  Tonight, we're planning on going back to Saloon, the site of our first date.  On Saturday, we're taking a little trip to Charlottesville, where we're staying in an adorable B&B and visiting a winery (Dave Matthews' winery!) and Monticello.  I think it will be the perfect way to commemorate the past 366 (gotta include Leap Day) days, and I'm sure I'll have thoughts and pictures to share when we get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment