I metroed home on Friday morning when Dan left for work (at about 6:30), and was able to fit in a run, 2 loads of laundry, cleaning the apartment and packing for the weekend before meeting Lauren for lunch at 2 Amys. I was feeling pretty good about my productivity, especially since I knew I would neither want to do laundry nor clean the apartment when I got home on Sunday night. I had decided to spend the weekend at my parents' house, just for a change of scenery.
After Lauren and I gobbled down our favorite pizza, we saw the movie Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, which, despite its title, was actually a fabulous movie. Afterward, we briefly contemplated running in to the showing of Titanic in 3D, but, good girls that we are, refrained (maybe it was just my group of friends, but we never snuck in to multiple movies when we were younger). Afterward, we did some nice window shopping, and then we parted ways so that I could meet up with my family and some family friends for dinner at Sequoia on the Waterfront. It was actually a surprisingly good time (I had been unsure, going into the dinner, of how well the groups were going to mesh), so it was nice to have that good company to start off the weekend.
I started off Saturday morning with my best outdoor run of the season so far. My previous outdoor runs have all been with Dan, and, perhaps due to the hilliness and my allergies/asthma going crazy, I have spent part of each run in the midst of an asthma attack and completely miserable. However, my runs outdoors on both Saturday and Sunday were fantastic, so those definitely started my days off right! Afterward, my dad and I went out to breakfast and got some hearty, tasty oatmeal-wheat germ pancakes. Then, I made my beloved Cookie Dough Cupcakes (seriously, Kate, thank you so much for passing this recipe along, because it is one of my favorite ones to make, however sparingly I do so!!!) to serve at Easter lunch on Sunday. After dinner, we headed to Easter vigil Mass...and did not emerge until 2 1/2 HOURS LATER. Seriously, those were the most miserable 2 1/2 hours of my entire life, and I was FUMING (as was my mom). The Mass was unnecessarily long, and I was shooting death glares at the cantor as she sang the third of seventh readings...seriously, not funny. My mom said the next morning that she had been so "distraught" (her word, not mine haha) after Mass that she had forgotten to make her special holiday breakfast, which needs to rise overnight. Oh well, I guess I wasn't really planning on doing anything after Mass anyway.
After my run on Sunday, I helped my mom get the mountains of food ready before two of my friends and Tim and two of his friends arrived for lunch. Everything was delicious, and by the time that Molly, Lauren and I arrived back at our apartment last night, we were definitely crashing big-time after our sugar high. Yeah, I guess I jumped back in to eating sugar a little too eagerly (although the two of them hadn't given up sweets for Lent and ate just as much, so maybe I shouldn't feel so bad? That's what I'll tell myself haha). We ended Easter weekend by watching some episodes of Mad Men in sweats, and believe me, it was glorious.
Me, Lauren and Molly down by the Potomac (and looking very springlike!)
Tim, Max and Mike relaxing after their catch
The reason for the sugar high? Bunny cake, cookie dough cupcakes and chocolate
Time and time again, I am in awe of my parents, particularly how generous they are about opening their home to Tim, myself, and our friends and loved ones. I never take for granted how lucky I am to have my parents just a short Metro ride away, and the fact that they are so open to making my friends and Dan a part of their lives means more to me than they will ever know. I truly am the luckiest girl in the world :)
Also, here is a picture of Molly and I with our creations from the painting happy hour we went to last week!




No comments:
Post a Comment