Monday, April 16, 2012

Whirlwind Welcome Weekend and Slothlike Sunday

Hi everyone!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend!

My weekend was ohsobusy, as usual, only, unlike most weekends, this one included one of our work events, the Welcome Weekend for admitted students.  These events occur twice a year and are always a bear, particularly because I do much of the prep work leading in to the event.  That meant that every day last week was filled with Welcome Weekend-related work and, thanks to some later nights out than I had planned, I was gased by the time we got to Friday morning.  I made the poor life choice to get up at 4:40 so I could be on the treadmill by 4:55, which, I know, sounds crazy, but, for those of you who know me, you'll recall that I go to great lengths to get my daily workout in.  Well, as a result (and a result of those late nights), the day was one long struggle to stay awake.  However, I knew that I had an evening with Dan to look forward to at the end of the long day, so that was the thing getting me through it all.  Luckily, everything went really well the entire weekend, so there was nothing to be concerned about!

Dan and I watched the Pens game, which I would normally have been completely interested in if I weren't already half-asleep.  So I fell asleep- literally, conked out- during the third period, and if he had kept all of the lights on, turned the sound on the TV up and cursed as the Flyers pulled away, I doubt I would have noticed. Apparently I also almost elbowed him in the head just as he was getting into bed and I made a move to turn over.  I do some pretty wacky things in my sleep, so I feel like I spend a lot of time apologizing as he recounts my latest antics haha. 

I woke up nice and early again (though not AS early) on Saturday for Day 2 of Welcome Weekend.  Again, everything went off without a hitch, and part of what I love so much about events is seeing everything you worked so hard on come together, especially in the context of our events, when we get to see admitted students interact and maybe start new friendships.  It really is so rewarding.  I was too exhuasted to deal with public transportation that day, so I cabbed home.  Luckily, Dan was golfing until late, so I got a little while to decompress before we met up with two of his Georgetown swimming friends.  Even though I felt like I was on the verge of passing out, I was somehow able to rally, and we actually didn't end up going to sleep until 3 or so (how I mustered enough adrenaline for that, I have no idea).  I think it's because I enjoy James and Lindsay's company so much.  It ended up just being the four of us towards the end of the night, which I loved, because they are such an awesome couple to double-date with, since I genuinely enjoy both of them and I think the four of us get along well.  I recalled later that I met them for the first time on the cooresponding weekend last year, because I remember thinking last year, 'Damn it, I'm exhausted, and now I have to go and be charming and meet Dan's friends.'  I guess they liked me enough!  Despite the fact that I started the evening off well by walking into a wall in the hallway of my own apartment building, resulting in laughter and mock-judgmental looks from Dan (okay, I also laughed at myself, since I was past the point of taking myself too seriously), I actually hung in there, and felt fine.  We tried out a place called Irish Whiskey on 19th Street, which was really cool and low-key, exactly what I needed that night.  As much as the dance music coming from Mad Hatter called to me as we walked by, I couldn't bring myself to dance.

On Sunday morning, we moved VERY slowly after our late night (also, another Kristen sleep adventure: I got a charlie horse in the middle of the night, but, not wanting to wake Dan up, and, in my state of exhaustion, not initially realizing what was happening, didn't make a noise or jump out of bed to get the cramp to stop), but then went for a run outside.  It was funny; before I even saw what Dan was wearing on our run, I instinctively reached for one of my We Are Georgetown shirts.  He emerged from the bathroom and said jokingly, "Oh no, I don't want to be one of THOSE couples [that dresses alike]," so, as a compromise, I reached for a pair of Georgetown shorts.  As usual, I struggled on the Mass Ave hill (I need to step it up and get good at hills, especially with our half marathon coming up soon- yes, you read that correctly, OUR!  Dan is going to run it with me, meaning I'll meet him at the finish line about a half-hour after he finishes haha), particularly since it was about 80 degrees.  We came home and watched TV and ate a nice coffee cake breakfast, and, after he left, I ignored my desire to go play outside in the beautiful weather and took a three hour nap.  My body was definitely trying to tell me something, and, unlike my typical ignoring of my body's signs of exhaustion, I just let myself sleep.  I of course couldn't fall asleep later, because I tried to go to bed about 2.5 hours after I woke up from my nap, but at least I kept my eyes closed so that I was "resting my eyes"?  Here's hoping for some more sleep this week!  And I have my grammy's 80th birthday shindig to look forward to this weekend in West Virginia, so I'm hoping for some nice, relaxing family time!

No comments:

Post a Comment