I have had some highly weird things happen this week, so I felt like I had to give you all a nice laugh on this lovely Friday.
To start with, I was rifling through my wallet on Tuesday to find my ID so I could get on the bus, and what should I find but someone else's credit card....? In a panic, I feverishly checked for all of my own cards, only to find that they were all present and accounted for. This was a serious head scratcher, being that I am not in the habit of stealing other people's credit cards. So then I did a little bit of investigating. I looked the person up on Facebook, hoping that I would be able to find them. In fact, she and I had a mutual friend, Patrick (one of the people whose going-away party I went to last Saturday night), so I immediately figured that, when I went to close out my tab at the first bar we went to, they must have accidentally slipped another card under mine without me realizing it...until three days later.
I sent her a Facebook message, apologizing profusely and providing her with my idea of what could possibly have happened. I told her that I was sure that she had already canceled her card, but that I would be happy to return it to her, and that I swore on my life that I had not used it. She sent me a very nice message back, saying that she appreciated the message, even though she had already canceled her card. So yeah, that was the day when I randomly ended up with someone else's credit card (after unknowingly having walked around with it for three days)...oops.
Incident #2 occurred last night, when a group of us went out to dinner at Rasika to celebrate (or mourn?) Colleen's final night in DC. At one point during dinner, she turned to me and said, "Oh, guess what I found when I was packing up the apartment, hidden in the closet under a huge pile of things?". Somehow, I had a hunch as to where she was going with that, so responded, with quite a bit of trepidation, "The router?". "Yes," she replied, and I just had to put my head in my hands for a moment. If you will remember, back in the fall, I was in an all-out battle with Comcast over an extra router that they said I had but that I insisted I didn't. Being that I was not at home when they installed our cable and internet gear, I never laid eyes on this second router. Nonetheless, I spent six torturous weeks on the phone with Comcast, even having to go so far as to make an unhelpful trip out to the Comcast facility in Rockville, trying to avoid having to pay for equipment that I was certain we did not have. Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So then the question became what to do with this newly-appeared extra router. Colleen offered to throw it away, but, after thinking about it for a moment, I thought better of it and asked her to keep it to give to me later on, in case, for whatever reason, Comcast decides to hunt me down. I think none of the people present knew whether to laugh or cry, fearful that I would forget that the incident was over and would snap at them anyway. Well, I did no such thing. I kept my head in my hands for a minute, and then I laughed, an exasperated laugh. C'est ma vie...
Long weekend, anyone??? Today is the kickoff of Jazz in the Sculpture Garden, which is almost as good as Christmas. I will be recovering from this weird, weird week with a glass of sangria.
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment