Holy crow, how is it May already?? I was thinking about our Europe trip this weekend, from which we returned four months ago, when it feels like that trip was almost a year ago. In case you're wondering, yes, the wanderlust is already kicking in again :-/ Anyway, I can't believe that we're already so far in to 2012, and I have been so ridiculously busy that I haven't realized how quickly it has been moving.
This weekend was a really fantastic one, albeit WAYYYYY too short (my Monday morning wakeup call was NOT a welcome one) and was a perfect blend of spending time with Dan and seeing friends. On Friday night, Dan and I tried out Agora, this Mediterranean tapas-style place on 17th, which actually ended up being fabulous. The ambience was great, the music choices were remarkable, and the food was delectable. Lots of yummy fish :) After that, we grabbed a quick drink at 18th Street Lounge, where Dan had never been before. The music was Latin-y and didn't quite create the vibe we wanted, so we ended up heading home relatively early and relaxing chez moi.
On Saturday, I did some major baking in preparation for my friend Alex's barbecue that night (he always requests that I bring baked goods, and based on the number of people who are ususally there and the reception that my sweets get, I typically need to make a LOT of them) and then attempted a run. I have had a flare-up of what I suspect is tendonitis in my ankle for the past week-and-a-half, which is due to my own unwillingness to take a day off from running (what can I say, if I'm in a running mood, I run!!!) and has put a serious damper on my workouts for the past few weeks. I was able to run about four miles in total, but it wasn't pretty, so the bulk of my workout was on the elliptical (boo). My top priority is obviously making sure I'm healthy for our half-marathon in September, so I know that I need to take care of my body now so that it does what I need it to do on race day. It's funny how that relationship works, if you're kind to your body, it does amazing things in return :)
Anyway, I met up with Dan to go to the barbecue, and we spent the next several hours chatting with friends and celebrating Alex's time in DC. It was definitely a more difficult goodbye than I was anticipating (it was also difficult to say goodbye to his precious dog, Wishbone), which makes me shudder to think about how tough it will be to say goodbye to Colleen when she leaves at the end of the month. I keep reminding myself that she'll only be in Baltimore, but still, it's not the same when one of your closest friends moves away :( Anyway, we went out to Town Tavern after the barbecue, but Dan and I, being the old farts that we are, didn't end up staying very long.
We had to get up and moving pretty early on Sunday morning, since Dan had an early tee time, which was perfect, because it gave me time to fit a workout in before Lauren, Molly and I saw The Lucky One (cue judgmental head-shaking now). Whatever, I liked it! Nicholas Sparks novels are like crack to me, as are the movie adaptations of said novels, it turns out. After the movie, we walked around for a bit and then cooked dinner at Lauren's apartment while re-living the early 2000s with a few episodes of Felicity (and drooling over Scott Speedman). I was not in a good mood when it was time to metro home and face the prospect of Monday morning. But it was a fun weekend, it really was!
I have started off this week by getting some good friend time in. I had a wonderful lunch with Lauren yesterday, during which I was reminded of the fact that I am so lucky to have her as a best friend (not that I needed the reminder at all!), and then followed it up with a fantastic dinner with my friend Jamie. We got dinner at Zorba's in Dupont and chatted for hours, and, as I always tend to feel after our conversations, I walked away afterward feeling so fulfilled. Tonight, I'm hopefully grabbing dinner with another friend who happens to be moving soon, so it should be good to see her. I FINALLY get to pencil some time in with my Dan tomorrow, which I can't wait for. I was ready for it to be Wednesday yesterday (not to discount my lovely night with Jamie and what I'm sure will be a lovely night with Jess), and we remarked on Sunday how sad it is that three days without seeing each other is torturous. I really shouldn't complain haha. I could have it a LOT worse! Nonetheless, I have loved having the chance to reconnect with friends over the last few weeks (I went to happy hour last week with Colleen and Patrick, both of whom are moving), and I'm having dinner with my Tim and the "siblings" on Thursday night, which is long overdue. As usual, my weeks are light on "me" time, but I wouldn't have it any other way :) Happy May, friends! I have a feeling it's going to be a good month!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
I started reading The Lucky One recently! I'll probably end up seeing the movie when it comes out on DVD, but I'm glad to know you liked it. As you hopefully know, I'm always down for Nicholas Sparks, in book or movie form!
ReplyDelete