Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Our Super Duper Lake Vacation

I had intended to do a post about the Lake...well, last week, after we got back.  Obviously, life got in the way, so I thought I would pound out a quick post now.  Our long {but, really, short} weekend at Winnipesaukee was everything I had hoped it would be.  We were blessed with THE MOST INCREDIBLE weather imaginable; high 70s, low 80s, not a cloud in the sky {other than when we needed a brief breather from the hot, mid-day sun}, and a soft breeze blowing, and dropping to the 40s and 50s at night.  Seriously, come on.  New England, you're such a flirt.

We all know that sitting around and "relaxing" is not at all my strong suit, although wearing the boot certainly forced me to adopt that lifestyle to a certain extent.  But really, there is nothing like laying out on our ginormous dock for hours on end, reading a book under a perfect blue sky and popping in the water for an occasional swim.  It really doesn't get any better.

Since we really were not on the island for very long {not to mention my mobility was limited}, we didn't really venture out very much.  My dad did take us on a real estate boat tour of the lake {not that we asked for one, but the man is a student of property values, so we humored him}.  I'll hand it to him, he knows where all of the "celebrities" live, although, I don't know that any of us would have the slightest idea if he was wrong.  But really, the best part of the weekend was that I was spending it with some of my very favorite people, and Dan said that it was great for him to be able to picture the place that I have talked about incessantly since, oh, about our second date.  I have a one-track mind, that's for sure.

Leaving the Lake has never been easy for me, particularly when we were there for such a short amount of time.  I also couldn't help but think that, what with the potential changes in our lives over the next year, this one may be our last at the Lake for a while.  I'm holding out hope that we'll make it back next year, mostly because letting go of a place that has been in your life since you were two years old is a tall order.  Every year, it feels like no time at all has passed when we arrive, which is perfect for a person who thrives on routine and consistency.  Other than the consistency, though, it is just SUCH a special place, and certainly makes up the fibers of who I am.

Side note: When my family was up at the Lake, baby bro found out that he is gainfully employed!!!!!! He achieved his dream of moving to NYC, and will be starting work next week! To say that I'm proud of him is an understatement.

Poor Dan endures trial by fire during Lake Golf, a game that, surprisingly, requires no golfing skill

Don't pretend you're not jealous

Rockin' the boot, lovin' life

No comments:

Post a Comment