One of my favorite weekly activities is reading the New York Times' Sunday Style pages (more specifically, the Weddings and Celebrations section). It's okay, I'm open about it. Part of it is that I am a hopeless romantic and am obsessed with weddings, but it is also just so damn FUN to laugh at how pretentious some of the couples sound!
Here's a sample (created out of my own imaginary power, as well as years of reading the Sunday Style pages):
Victoria Helen Lancaster, the daughter of Philip J. Lancaster, Esq. and Veronica Lancaster of Greenwich, Connecticut, married Dr. Richard Louis Worthington III, the son of Dr. Richard Louis Worthington II and Patricia "Bunny" Worthington of Rye, New York at the bride's parents' country home in Chappaqua in a dusk ceremony on October 15th. The Reverend Neil Weathers, an Episcopal minister and a close friend of the bride's family, officiated before 250 guests.
The bride, who will take her husband's name, is a senior associate editor at Marie Claire Magazine. She graduated cum laude from the Yale University and runs an online jewelry boutique. Her father is a senior partner at Walsh, Stone and Lancaster in New York, and her mother is a former event planner.
The bridegroom is a surgical fellow in oncology at Memorial-Sloane Kettering Hospital in New York. He graduated Magna Cum Laude from Harvard, where he also captained the sailing team, and attended the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine. His father is the retired Chief of Surgery at St. Vincent's Hospital in New York, and his mother is a society contributor to The New Yorker.
The couple met at a charity regatta in Greenwich, Connecticut, when both were in school. Mrs. Worthington, while initially unimpressed with Dr. Worthington's "cavalier" handling of his boat and its crew, was quickly won over by his charm, as well as his devotion to his medical career.
The couple lives in Manhattan.
Voilà!!! Good thing I crack myself up, right? Somehow, my little "hobby" came to Dan's attention, and he said that Grantland, a mostly-sports (but partly-pop culture) blog that he reads, features a humorous monthly analysis of the NYT wedding announcements. I knew that I was going to be all over this, so made him promise to send me the next one. After I had waited anxiously, he sent me the October wedding roundup last night, as promised (really, could I ask for a better boyfriend?!). I have not even made a dent in all of the wealth of laughs contained in this one blog post, so this, I think, will be my monthly gift that keeps on giving.
Even though I am not very far into the post, one article in particular caught my attention (I had actually seen it on the Times' website earlier in the week but hadn't had time to read it. As it turns out, it was shockingly relevant to the blog!). A New York man is suing his wedding photog because the last 15 minutes of the blessed event (the last dance and the bouquet toss) were not captured on film. He is asking the photographer to pay to fly all of the guests back to NY and re-create the wedding so as to get a complete wedding picture album. The only problem? He and his wife got divorced a few years ago....ermmm, what? It's nice to read things like that and know that I am not that insane (but, at the same time, it's just a bit sad to think that there ARE people that insane...and have more money than sense).
Nothing like laughing at some wedding columns to add some humor to your day...it's the small things in life, particularly on Hump Day!!!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment