Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Trick or Treat!

No, I did not go trick-or-treating (would you believe me if I said I had, though?!  When I was taking the bus home last night, seeing all of the kiddos in their costumes in Georgetown made me want to join in!).  Never fear, though, I did dress up- TWICE!

On Friday night, we were going to a party at Dan's friend's house, and another of his friends had decided that he wanted a bunch of us to go in Batman costumes.  I was assigned Catwoman, which I was excited about because I found black pleather leggings and a black leotard (with a low, scooping back) at American Apparel.  I think the saleswoman guessed, as soon as I walked in the store dressed in my not-at-all-hipster work clothes, that I was looking for a Halloween costume, although she insisted that she wore the leotard all the time (obviously so practical).  I found some other cute accessories, and I would say that it was definitely a "cute" spin on Catwoman.  Aside from my costume, we had Batman, Batwoman, Poison Ivy, Two-Face and...drumroll please....Dan won the best costume (hands-down) with his FABULOUS fluorescent green suit that he bought to be the Riddler (he got extra points in my book for drawing question marks all over it, without whining and making me do it!).  We looked like quite a group, and definitely got some enthusiastic reactions on the Metro on the way to the party.

 See what I mean?!?!?!?! THE SUIT
Batman crew (plus our lovely hostess, Rainbow Bright)
On Saturday night, we had some friends over to our place for a Halloween potluck.  We had two types of chili, lots of good sides, and more sweets than even we knew what to do with (my contribution was Halloween-themed cookie dough cupcakes, a recipe that I originally got from Kate).  That night, I decided to change up my costume and go with my old standby of my beloved fairy costume, which, although it looks like it was made for someone a foot shorter than me and, frankly, looks a little strange on me, I have now worn for three Halloweens because I love it so much.  After we stuffed ourselves with delicious food that all of our wonderful friends made and drank yummy pumpkin ale (among other things), we headed to Dupont and settled on Science Club, the one place we could find with no line and no cover (and, since we had gotten snow- FIRST SNOW! WOO!!!- earlier in the day and it was FREEZING, we were not in the mood to wait in line outside).  It actually had an amazing vibe- I could have done with some more Top 40s music, but it was good dance music and the drinks were reasonably priced.  All in all, a win of a night, because I got to be surrounded by some of my favorite people!

Hoyas! (plus two non-Hoyas; we also apparently self-segregated, because the Domers are not really in any of our pictures)
I can't believe it is already November!  Since I'm totally insane a big-time planner, I started my Christmas shopping last night.  I will never be that person in the mall on Christmas Eve Day, and I'm not about to apologize for it.  I like for my Christmas shopping to be leisurely and stress-free, so I've already started coming up with ideas for the people in my life so that I can buy soon.  Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited for Thanksgiving (I would say it's my second-favorite holiday after Christmas), but the Christmas season is what really turns me into a caricature of myself haha.  I can't wait to put up the tree, sing Christmas carols, bake Christmas cookies, force Dan to watch Love Actually (I totally have a trump card left over from him making me watch Zombieland, which is actually worth several chick flicks, in my opinion).  But I digress.  First things first: Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment