We had quite the weekend of pre-Christmas fun here in the nation's capital...not that I wasn't in the spirit, oh, a month or so ago (a slightly embarrassing fact that Dan reminded me of the other day). On Friday night, after an exhausting, yet rewarding week at work (I was prepping for our biggest event of the year), Lauren and I went to the annual Christmas tree lighting in Dahlgren, after which we met up with Molly for dinner at Tombs and then met up with Joelle for Lessons and Carols at Dahlgren. As if the night could get any more Christmasy, Molly and I went home afterward and decorated our apartment for Christmas. While it's still very much a work-in-progress, here is the general gist of it:
Christmas tree lighting in Dahlgren- Merry Hoya Christmas!
Our apartment, looking very festive!
On Saturday, Dan and I (as well as some other friends) went to our first Hoya basketball game of the year (being that none of us have tickets this year and are completely delinquent fans), thanks to a free ticket offer for faculty and staff. I was pleasantly shocked by how amazing the seats were! It wasn't a particularly close game, but it was great to be back at Verizon. We were sitting next to a guy who was a Class of 1986 SFSer, so it was fun to listen to him re-live his glory days.After the game, we decided that it was finally time, after having lived in DC for six years, for Dan to go to a Smithsonian museum. We decided on American History, which is one of my favorite museums in the city. We particularly liked the war exhibit (basically an exhibit dedicated to US military history) and I liked the First Lady exhibit, especially because, unlike the last time I was there, Michelle Obama's STUNNING Jason Wu Inauguration Ball dress was on display. It was even more beautiful in person! From there, we walked over to see the Christmas tree at the Ellipse. While I am generally a fan of all Christmas trees, this one is not a particularly attractive one, mostly because it is a normal tree that you can't even see through the cage of lights around it. However, it is still a Christmas tree, so I still wanted to go see it. In addition to the primary tree, there are smaller trees for each state and territory, each bedecked in ornaments created by children of various ages from that state or territory. It was fun to judge each of them (Massachusetts' was really disappointing, much to my chagrin).
After walking around the general Metro Center area in vain looking for places to eat, we decided to head back in the general Georgetown direction. We had a delicious dinner at Paper Moon, followed by milkshakes at Johnny Rocket's. Then we went home and watched Muppet Christmas Carol. All in all, an absolutely fabulous day. It was a nice blend of Christmasy activities and touristy ones, so I'm very grateful to Dan for being so on-board for such a jam-packed (yet fun!) Saturday! It was the perfect way to kick off December!
HOYA SAXA!
Looking ahead, my mom and I will be in Strasbourg in exactly TWO WEEKS!!!!! I can't wait for what promises to be an incredible trip!




No comments:
Post a Comment