Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Power of Positive Thinking

I try to maintain a generally positive outlook on life.  Sure, it can be hard, what with all of those First World Problems (I'm sorry, I just had to find a way to sneak that meme in there!) out there, but I really do try to take stock of all of the many blessings that have so graciously been given to me.

Molly got me a daily journal, in which you are allotted six or seven lines for each day, and each page contains the same date for five years (so, for example, the February 17th page contains space for me to write about that day in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016), and I have found that, in the month-and-a-half since I have been writing in it, it has been an incredible tool in my quest to make positivity one of the pillars in my life.  It forces me to look back at each day and pick out the positives (and trust me, there are always positives), because who wants to read a Debbie Downer message, particularly one that is condensed into seven lines, for each day?  Not this girl!  This adorable little journal (which, I believe was purchased at World Market...or, at least, has the look of it) has turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because I have noticed that, this year in particular, I am really taking a few minutes out of my day to think about all of the good things that happened that day.  It's how I stay sane, really.

I also do more extensive journaling, which I have always enjoyed.  I enjoy the creative outlet of journaling, the idea of writing down your deepest, most private feelings and knowing that your journal is not going to judge you for putting those feelings in writing.  For those of you who are working in your first post-undergraduate job, as I am, you will probably agree taht there are moments when you do not feel intellectually stimulated, so journaling is one of the ways that I do that for myself.  I recently completed a Strengths Finder evaluation for work, and, during my debriefing conversation with my coach, she said that I am incredibly self-aware.  I attribute a good deal of that to the journaling that I do.  Now, there are times when life gets in the way and I get very behind on writing, but I do always come back to it, and I know that I will look back on the journals I have completed with fondness.  I already do go back and read older entries, and it brings me so much joy to read about how I was feeling at a particular moment in my life, and also to observe how my thought process and my circumstances have changed so dramatically. 

I am also a HUGE proponent of therapy, but I understand that that really is not for everyone, so I think that journaling is just about the next best thing, in terms of organizing your thoughts in a coherent (or incoherent) way, recognizing patterns in behavior, and taking stock of all of the things that you are grateful for.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you like your journal!!! And FYI, I got it at Politics and Prose. :)

    ReplyDelete