Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine's Day Challenge

Hello, dear readers!!! Valentine's Day is almost upon us (groan in disgust or cheer, however you feel like reacting to that).  I am personally very excited for Tuesday's blessed event, because I get to wear a cute dress (*more on this below), go out to a fancy restaurant and spend time with my love.  Sounds like a great deal, right?

I decided to make things a little bit interesting and challenge Dan to a Funny Valentine contest, in which each of us is tasked with finding the funniest (actually funny or corny will both be acceptable) Valentine's Day card.  Obviously, being that we are both competitive weirdos, he accepted, so the challenge is on.  He casually asked me last night how my search was going, and I said, "Oh, I had already found your card when I suggested the challenge.  In fact, I got a backup so I could make a game-time decision and choose between the two."  I just wanted to make him sweat a little bit ;)  My card IS actually quite corny, so I'm excited to see what he comes up with.

I was just looking around to see if anyone else had anything to say about funny valentines, and found a gold mine: the Huffington Post highlighted the best someecards Valentine's Day cards.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with someecards (or if you somehow missed out on the whole Facebook Bumper Sticker craze a few years back), they are hilariously dry and sarcastic, so, without further ado, enjoy.

I would love to hear if any of you have given, received, or just looked at (but been too scared to buy) any particularly funny valentines!!!

*Okay, so the dress debacle: I received a little gift from JCrew last week (a $25 gift card!) since I am a cardholder, and, given that they were also taking an extra 30% off their sale, I wanted to take advantage of it.  I found a BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL dress that I instantly fell in love with and thought I could wear for Valentine's Day.  I had been stalking my tracking information for two days (JCrew has ridiculously quick shipping.  Maybe that's why they tack on so much extra $ for shipping) and knew that it would be waiting for me when I got home last night.  The Hoyas suffered a heartbreaking overtime defeat at the hands of Cuse (booooooo) last night, so Dan and I were in a rotten mood.  But hey, at least I had my dress to look forward to!

I practically ripped it out of the box and went into the bathroom so I could put it on in front of the mirror.  But wait, it wouldn't zip all the way............? Hmmmmmmmm.  I had ordered the same size I always do in their dresses, but I was afraid this was another case of non-standardized sizing as concerns women's clothing. I seriously had to suck it in as my roommmate struggled to zip it up that last little bit.  Oh, did I mention that it has a very structured corset top?  I think I was visibly uncomfortable (but, this will matter in a minute, I was fully zipped in, and it FIT!! Kind of...) and quite obviously very disappointed, because of how excited I had been about this dress.  After trying to look it pretty in front of the mirror for a few minutes, I dejectedly walked back to my room and took it off. 

It was only then that I looked at the tag.  But wait, it was a SIZE SMALLER than what I had ordered!! A number that I never thought I would see on a dress that *kind of* fit me assuming I didn't care about breathing! Two minutes ago I had been thinking, 'Okay, Kristen, where the heck did all of this extra weight come from that you apparently gained so that your size no longer fits?'. I was feeling seriously bad about myself, and then, mere seconds later, I felt GREAT!  However, it was not realistic for me to keep a dress that only kind of (uncomfortably) fit, so I called JCrew immediately (wooo 24-hour customer service!!), and they offered to overnight me the right size (still in stock in the color I wanted! Yay!) at no extra charge, AND send me a prepaid return shipping label for the too-small dress.  I wasn't even angry, because their customer service was so fantastic!!  I may have pulled the "I was hoping to wear this dress on Valentine's Day" card in order to expedite things a little bit, but that's neither here nor there.  Fingers crossed that it makes it in time (I still haven't gotten an email saying that it's been shipped)!

Moral of the story: JCrew has amazing customer service.  Yes, they made a mistake, but they more than made up for it with their superior customer service.  THAT is how you run a business!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment