Friday, October 5, 2012

Go-to pick-me-ups

This has been a bit of a rough week, so I have used my time after work to be really selfish and do things that are going to make me the happiest (sorry, not sorry).  I am generally a very positive person, and refuse to let a bad week get me down!

First of all, I joined an organization called WIN this week (following the example of the roommate!), a network for pro-choice, Democratic women.  I'm really excited to get involved and meet some great ladies in the process!

On Monday, we had a birthday dinner for Molly at Zaytinya.  I have to admit that I was very skeptical, because, being the simple-palated girl that I am, I do not tend to gravitate toward designer restaurants, but all I have to say is, WOW.  For those of you who haven't been there, it is a Mediterranean small-plate restaurant.  We had such a hard time selecting plates to share, because everything sounded so darned good!!  Some highlights for me were butternut squash hummus, brussels sprouts in yogurt sauce (I previously thought I hated the things, but I think that, if they are prepared in that exact way, I can stomach them), tuna and a hard cheese with dates and orange slices...not to mention the bread, which we made the mistake of eating too much of before the arrival of our 18 plates of food (split between 6 people).  It was so incredibly satisfying, and I have already decided that I'm going back!

Tuesday was REALLY not a great day, so, even though I was supposed to go to the Nats game with some girlfriends, I decided to take a personal night.  It was one of those nights where I put on my pajamas immediately upon returning home, baked a cake and popped in a chick flick.  Since I was both in a cooking mood and in need of an uplifting story, I chose Julie & Julia.  Meryl and Amy, you two never let me down!

On Wednesday, I finally got to see Dan, since I had been the mean one with so many plans earlier on in the week haha.  Even after the toughest of days, seeing him never fails to bring a smile to my face, and, without fail, I try to check whatever emotional baggage I have amassed during the day at the door so I can just enjoy my time with him.  Wednesday was no different, and I left feeling the happiest I've felt all week!  You know you've found a good guy when he has that effect on you :)

Yesterday, I decided to go over to my parents' house after work.  I never, ever turn down a home-cooked meal, especially since it usually involves some type of fish, which I'm too lazy to cook for myself haha.  Having a nice night with my parents is also something that I never turn down, so it was great to get to spend that time with them.

That said, I NEED this long weekend, as in, REALLY need it.  I can't wait to relax, catch up on sleep, and generally recharge.  Tonight, I'm spending some time with Dan (not really sure what we're doing yet, but that doesn't bother me one bit, because the important thing is that I'll be spending time with him).  Tomorrow, the plan is to make some pancakes (he can never resist them, so I'm glad I've found at least one thing I make that he absolutely never turns down!) and then go either to the Taste of DC Festival or go apple picking (being the non-New Englander that he is, he is somewhat resistant to the idea of apple picking, but I am determined to, at some point this fall, introduce him to my favorite fall tradition...even if that means I have to make him a pie out of the apples we find.  I can take one for the team).  On Sunday, I have plans to meet up with a close friend for brunch at Policy, which I'm really looking forward to, since I have only ever been there for dancing and drinks/dessert and I have heard their brunch is delicious.  Then, I will gladly weather an afternoon of football (okay, maybe I'll bring a book or something), especially since it's supposed to be a nippy day outside and I will probably feel like burrowing under a blanket and watching TV anyway.  Finally, on Monday, I have plans to do some much-needed retail therapy with a friend.  Gosh, how I love three-day weekends.

I hope fall is in full bloom wherever you are!  It is, disappointingly, in the 80s today.  WTF DC?! I may be taking a short trip out to the Shenandoahs next weekend, both to see my grandparents and to remind myself that it's fall somewhere haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment