It's no secret that I was not a huge fan of the month of September this year. I learned more about rhabdomyolysis, CPK, AST and ALT levels, and what the inside of a hospital room feels like this month than I would ever have cared to know. Dan has been such a trooper this month, but I think that he and I are both ready to put September behind us and hope that October is the month when he finally gets back to normal. We're really hoping for good news after he gets his blood drawn again in a few weeks.
This weekend was an uncharacteristically social one for us, because, ever since we got home from the hospital, we have been laying low as Dan recovers. On Friday night, we grabbed dinner at District of Pie, which, I think it's safe to say, is our new favorite pizza place (we have been there several times over the past few months). Before we went, however, Dan had a little surprise for me. He knows how much I love surprises, but, since I am almost always on the giving end of those surprises, he decided to do a little something sweet for me. He had texted me on Thursday night to tell me that he had a surprise, and, I think, thoroughly enjoyed seeing me sweat it out a little bit. When I got to his place on Friday, I found that he had gotten me Pawnee: The Greatest Town in America, which is a plotline (and actual book, penned by the show's writers) of Parks and Recreation, one of our favorite shows that we watch together. He had been at Barnes and Noble, and couldn't resist the temptation to get it for me. He really is the best, and I truly appreciated the thoughtful surprise :)
Then, I met up with my friends to celebrate Molly's birthday at Muzette, a karaoke place in Adams Morgan (side note: we had all gotten together to celebrate Lauren's birthday over dinner on Thursday). This place was great, because we got a private room and, thus, controlled all of the songs for two hours. You have no idea how fantastic this is, particularly since we have a lot of people in our group (myself included) who love to belt it out! From Muzette, we headed to Dan's Cafe, which I had never been to before (I discovered why the moment I walked in, because this place was the diviest of dive bars that I have ever been to). We ended the night at, you guessed it, Brass Monkey. Sometimes a gal just needs a little bit of dancing! I got to bed at about 2:30, which is easily the latest I have stayed up in a while (it's okay, insert grandma joke here)...only to get up at 7 to run before Homecoming. I know, crazy. I felt fine for most of the day, and then hit a major wall at 6 or so.
The tailgate was actually a lot of fun, although I am definitely going to have a hard time deciding whether or not to go next year. My thought was that most of the people who were there were people that I already see. It was still fun, though. Poor Dan still wasn't able to drink anything because the doc hasn't cleared him for it, but he was still able to see a few of his swimming friends. After the tailgate, Dan, Goran, Nicole and I went to Piola in Rosslyn, which has an all-you-can-eat gnocchi special on the 29th of each month. We tried six different types of gnocchi (I was only able to eat three, because the other three either contained meat or ingredients that I am allergic to), and I think that it is safe to say that Goran and Nicole could eat Dan and I under the table. The two of them do somewhat-regular food challenges, and neither Dan nor I are particularly big eaters, so we filled up a lot more quickly. For the rest of the afternoon, we watched the Ryder Cup (we watched on Sunday as well), which is what I fell asleep watching at 9:30 (that's what 4.5 hours of sleep plus a packed day at Homecoming will do to you haha).
Yesterday morning, we got brunch with my parents at Metro 29, which was nice (Dan hadn't seen them in a while, and I hadn't seen them in a week or so). I got my French toast, which made my tummy happy...until I went for a run three hours later. I felt like I was going to be sick the entire time, so it was not such a pleasant run. When I got back and Dan expressed concern at how sick I looked, I pointed out that at least I could run, which he agreed with. Once I felt a little bit better, we grabbed some dinner from a sports bar in his old neighborhood (I smartly opted for a salad, because I was feeling very nutrient-deficient after last week) and watched the thoroughly depressing end of the Ryder Cup. Damn it, 'murica! Overall, I had a great weekend with friends, but especially with Dan. I'm not going to get to see him until Wednesday, so I try to be very appreciative of the time that I do get to spend with him!! I'm glad that we have a long weekend to look forward to this coming weekend, because boy, could we use it!
Pictures from this weekend to come soon! I got back too late last night to edit/upload photos...
I hope you all had fabulous weekends!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment