Thursday, April 11, 2013

Going Gluten-Free: My Takeaways So Far

I am nearly two weeks in to this gluten-free adventure, and I thought I would share some of my thoughts and observations about it:


  • I am CONSTANTLY hungry! Typically, I have a really small lunch {i.e. a piece of fruit} and opt for a larger breakfast and dinner, but since I've been on this gluten-free diet, I've noticed that lunch can't come soon enough.  I am practically famished by 10 a.m.  Not that weight loss was my aim at all, but I can definitely see how a diet like this could be effective, because I feel like my clothes already fit a little more loosely.  I have been trying to eat protein-rich foods like quinoa, beans and cottage cheese, in the hope that they will fill me up, but to no avail.
  • I am also constantly tired.  A lot of people cite a gluten-free diet as a way to boost their energy level, and I have found the opposite to be the case.  You are all well aware of my 5 a.m. workout routine, and I have had to drag myself out of bed every morning since going gluten-free.  I am also a lot more tired during the day.  I blame the constant hunger.  Strangely, my runs have not really suffered too much...
  • I detest rice flour.  I gave it the good ole college try and attempted gluten-free pizza crust at Mellow Mushroom {which is made from rice flour and tapioca, the latter of which is one of the more disgusting things I have ever tried}, and even attempted to bake some chocolate chip cookies with it last night, but it is some seriously disgusting stuff.  My cookies were such disappointing, flat little cookies, as opposed to the gooey, fluffy cookies that I usually make.  Baking fail :(
  • I had these grand plans to make some nut-free, gluten-free granola for our hiking trip this weekend, which I attempted last night.  Before I went to the grocery store on Monday to buy the ingredients, I had one glass of wine at happy hour, but apparently that one glass went straight to my head.  Not only did I accidentally not buy gluten-free oats {the ones I bought are not in and of themselves gluten-rich, but may contain traces of wheat, and apparently oats are very easily cross-contaminated}, but they are also steel-cut oats, which are not at all conducive to making granola.  Needless to stay, the granola does not stick together very well.  I blame my perpetually hungry tummy for the apparently strong effects of the wine.  Seriously, people, one glass.  While eating food.  Sipped over an hour or so.  Sheesh.  Gluten-free baking - 2, Kristen - 0.
As you can see, I am feeling rather disgruntled with this diet adventure right now, so I have my eye on the May 12th prize.  I think I will be the happiest person in the world that day!

No comments:

Post a Comment