Two weekends ago, Dan and I did an overnight in lovely Sperryville, Virginia, at a really cute B&B near the base of Old Rag. Despite the fact that they strangely did not have us down for a reservation {I was sitting next to Dan when he made the reservation online, so I could fully attest to the fact that he had made one}, they luckily still had the space to accommodate us, and offered us one of their cabin rooms adjacent to the house, which suited us just fine. We were up at an ungodly hour for a Saturday {6:15, because we know how crowded these trail parking lots tend to get the later you depart} but were luckily able to have a farm-fresh breakfast before we left. The hike through White Oak Canyon was difficult {5 hours long and very rocky, not to mention lots of steep uphill climbing} but beautiful, with several picturesque waterfalls along the way. It was such a romantic getaway, and I appreciated all of the thought that Dan had put into it, from finding the B&B to zeroing in on a hike that he thought I would love.
This past weekend, we traveled back to Pittsburgh, where we hadn't been together in over a year. Dan's parents were actually at home that weekend for a gala that they were attending, so we got to spend quality time with them. Dan's mom absolutely spoiled me with gluten-free goodies, which is just one example of how thoughtful she is. We were all kind of still reeling from the events in Boston, especially given the fact that the second suspect had been apprehended while we were driving, so we all stayed up watching the news.
On Saturday, we got to sleep in a little bit, which we both sorely needed, and then, along with Leslie, met up with Dan's grandparents for lunch. It was my first time meeting them, and I had been excited to do so for quite some time. They were so sweet, and it was such a treat for me to finally get to meet Grammy and Grandpa. Afterward, we gave Mt. Washington another try {if you will remember, it hailed on us when we tried to get a panoramic view of the city from atop the mountain when we were in the 'burgh last year}, this time with a much more favorable result, and then wandered around the very impressive Andy Warhol Museum for the remainder of the afternoon. I was threatening to break my gluten-free diet because of how badly I wanted to go to Dan's favorite Italian restaurant, but, in the end, I held fast and we settled for a delicious seafood dinner. Then, we came home, immediately put on our pajamas, and kicked back with some drinks and cookies to watch the Pens game. When Dan's parents arrived home from the gala, they found us watching home movies from when Dan was a baby. Seriously, my heart was melting...he was such a cutie pie, and such a sweet little boy {not much has changed, since he's still handsome and sweet}. Pete rolled his eyes, and Leslie was both shocked and impressed that I had convinced Dan to let me watch the videos.
On Sunday morning, we went to the gym and then had a delicious frittata breakfast before heading to the Bucs game. It was my first game at PNC, and it was so much fun! Dan's family has a share in season tickets, and the seats are incredible, seven rows behind the Pirate dugout, and with a great view of the city skyline. We all got a little bit sunburned, a sure sign that we have our work cut out for us this summer by the pool, what with our pale, pale winter skin.
I could not have asked for a better weekend. There is nothing better than a quiet weekend away to spend with the person you love, and I felt like I peeled back a few more Dan layers this weekend by meeting a few new members of his family and by watching baby videos of him. I am so excited for all of the changes that will happen in just over a month when we move in together, and I can tell how psyched he is as well. I can't wait to see my guy every day!!



No comments:
Post a Comment