As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I certainly was not lacking in relaxation time over break, which, after a stressful few months at work, was certainly in order.
After getting caught in a terrible snowstorm that turned what normally is a 4-hour drive into a harrowing 9-hour drive, Dan got back to DC. Knowing that he would be grumpy and starving {he only ended up being the latter}, I had some homemade mac & cheese casserole {one of his favorite dishes that I make} and Oreo cupcakes {which he claims is his favorite dessert EVER- patting myself on the back haha} waiting for him when he got to my apartment. He worked from home on Thursday and Friday, so we just hung out in my living room during the day and got to hang out at night. SLASH we MAY have also gotten addicted to Homeland during parts of the work day :) The only thing on my agenda was going for a run- I had a 14-miler on Friday- so the rest of the time, I just sat pretty. I also made crepes on Thursday morning, so that took up a little bit of time as well!
On Friday night, we saw Les Mis {the movie}. SO. FREAKING.GOOD. Tears were rolling down my face for a sizeable chunk of the movie, which Dan made sure to give me grief about haha. In all seriousness, I was amazed by the singing performances {other than Russell Crowe's}; even Anne Hathaway, for whom Dan tells me that I have an irrational hatred, did a great job on "I Dreamed a Dream." They were all incredible, and it is such a moving story that they captured so beautifully. As we left the theater, a tissue-less me still sniffling, Dan remarked that he had forgotten that the story was so sad. Yeah........
On Saturday, I took my "day off" from exercise, which actually ended up being a very busy, not to mention active, day. Dan wanted to go shop for some golf supplies, which I didn't really want a part of, so I met up with my mom to see the Christmas displays at the Botanical Garden, which I would highly recommend, by the way. From there, we went to the Museum of the American Indian for a bit. It was nice to have some mommy-daughter time! When I got back, Dan and I headed over to the Thomas Jefferson Community Center in Arlington to play some basketball. We had been threatening to play for, oh, about a year, but we finally did it. We didn't play 1-on-1, but we did play two games of horse and one of Around the World, all of which I won, thank you very much. Too bad I didn't have the good sense to put a home-cooked meal on it beforehand!
After we showered and changed, we headed over to Georgetown to check out their ice skating rink. FAB.U.LOUS. It was significantly less crowded/hectic than the Sculpture Garden rink, not to mention more picturesque at the time of day that we went {7 p.m., so all the lights were sparkling!}. After skating for about an hour- and avoiding falls! Woohoo!- we hopped over to the newly reopened Farmers, Fishers & Bakers for an 8:00 reservation...only to wait until 8:45 to get seated. WOMPPPPPP. We were so hungry after our active day that we got pretty grumpy, but quickly cheered up when we learned that they were comping us a round of drinks and an app. Now THAT'S how you placate angry diners, people! Let's also talk about the fact that the food was OUT OF THIS WORLD, and also reasonably-priced! We got an appetizer of soft pretzels and three mouthwatering dipping sauces, and, for our entrées, Dan ordered jambalaya and I ordered a gardener's pie {essentially shepherd's pie but with veggies instead of meat}. Our tummies were sure happy when we left, and we vowed to go back very soon.
On Sunday, we went to our beloved Metro 29 for brunch after our runs, where who should we see but Eric Cantor. I was so tempted to bitch him out, because, at that point, Congress had not reached a deal to avoid falling off the fiscal cliff. However, I kept my cool and stuffed my face with French toast like a good little girl. For the remainder of the day, we watched football. Now, I hate football, but watching it meant that I got to spend time with Dan, and it also required no effort, which pleased my exhausted body. In return, he told me that, since I had been so good to watch 9ish hours of football, I could choose Monday's activity. I chose Mt. Vernon, which ended up being a slightly poor choice because of the cold weather and the fact that the place pales in comparison to Monticello. Who knew? However, while there, we saw Michele Bachmann. I kind of creeped myself out by recognizing two politicians in 18 hours, but I know that I was right. Again, in a perfect world, I might have bitched Michele out for her politics, but I refrained.
And then came New Year's Eve. Last NYE was definitely a depressing one for me, because, as we walked around Dublin on that day last year, it seemed as though there was a happy couple everywhere we turned, which only made me miss my guy more. That's why I was thrilled to not only spend so much time with Dan this break, but also spend New Year's Eve with him. We had decided that we wanted to do something low-key {but still actually go out}, so we threw on our party clothes and headed to Old Town. All of the Christmas lights lining King Street twinkled away, and I briefly forgot that I was not walking down the Champs-Elysées. Dinner was yummy, and we decided to head to O'Connell's, a charming old pub, afterward. We were SO fortunate, because, just as we got there at around 10, a group of women was leaving, so we snagged their seats at the bar. We didn't have to fight for drinks all night, AND we got seats. Seriously perfect. We made friends with some pretty interesting characters {one, a guy named James with long, red hair and a pink sparkly cape, was particularly entertaining} and just enjoyed each other's company. It was perfect. Seriously, I was in my happy place, getting to spend the holiday with my love.
So that's all she wrote, folks! That was my UBER-relaxing vacation, and I enjoyed every second of it, whether spent with my family or with Dan. It was definitely tough to get out of bed on Wednesday morning to come back to work, but, surprise! Today is Friday!
For whatever reason, my photo uploader isn't working, which is kind of annoying, so I'll try again later to post pics of the rest of break! Happy (almost) weekend!
An Enduring Hunger
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment