Friday, February 15, 2013

How I Spent My Valentine's Day

I hope all of you had a wonderful Valentine's Day yesterday!! Whether you're single or taken, I think the holiday is a great excuse to remind all of the people in your life how much you love them.

Yesterday was a really special day; while Dan is not a fan of Valentine's Day, he knows that I am, so he humors me and goes all-out for the day, which I really do appreciate.  I got some gorgeous red roses and carnations delivered to work, which is actually kind of a funny story.  I got an email at around lunchtime saying that I had a package in the Alumni Square RHO, and I had a brief flashback to college.  My guess is that the florist had so many deliveries yesterday that they felt like just dropping all of the bouquets in one place, because there were about ten of them in the RHO when I arrived.  They made me work hard for my flowers haha!  But they were truly worth the walk, and I was very appreciative of them.

He really does spoil me :)

We went to dinner at Lincoln, a restaurant in between Thomas Circle and McPherson Square.  While I was initially a little scared of the small plates {for my appetizer course, I ordered a fig dish, and they brought out one fig} and feared I would leave hungry, the meal was delicious, and I left feeling very satisfied.  I ordered a beet salad, a cauliflower and roasted vegetable dish, and, for dessert, something called the Green Fairy Absinthe.  It was a little ball of chocolate-covered cake, covered in a white chocolate cage and with sugary green wings.  I'll post a picture of it when I get a chance, and I promise that it was as good as it looked!!  I would have been perfectly happy cooking dinner at home and lounging around in our pajamas like lazy bums, but Dan insisted that, while he owes me a home-cooked meal, the stakes are just a little too high on Valentine's Day, logic that I agreed with.  I told him we can lounge and cook next year!

I am not really into exchanging Valentine's Day gifts {seriously, I eat enough chocolate as it is haha}, but we do a funny card contest every year.  This year, I bought a card with a great pun, which I was sure would win, but then Dan went and bought me a musical Justin Bieber card, and I immediately conceded defeat, without calling in a third party.  He's a tricky one, that Dan!  Luckily for me, we didn't put anything on the outcome beforehand, so there were no losers in this contest!

My Valentine's Day was also made complete by some exciting family news: my cousin Kelly gave birth to her third child, Nina Bernadette, yesterday.  She is just as cute as can be, and I can't wait to meet her!!! My parents also emailed me last night to inform me that my cousin Ashley is also expecting! I can't wait to have lots of little ones running around!!!!

Honestly, though, I was just happy as a clam to spend the evening with my love.  I truly feel like the luckiest girl every day to be able to call him my boyfriend, but, with our two-year anniversary a little over two weeks away, I guess I'm feeling extra-gushy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment