Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tis the Season for Long Weekends

I had a bunch of comp time saved up from some events that I worked awhile back, so I took this past Friday off, giving me a much-needed weekend.  Last week was wonderful, but many late nights took a LOT out of me!

Friday was my dreaded 20-mile run.  As the days got closer to Friday and the rain forecast grew more certain, I realized that I would have to just accept the fact that it would be raining.  And rain it did.  It really wasn't too unpleasant, other than that gross feeling you get when your feet get wet.  Surprisingly, I felt really good, and I finished in just under 3 hours, which, given the weather and an uphill run up Wisconsin in the last few miles of my run, I was more than happy with!

After recovering, I took the train up to Baltimore to visit the lovely Colleen.  We hadn't seen each other in ages, and, although I had planned to go up to visit her in September, our little stint in the hospital prevented that from happening.  It was so wonderful to catch up with her, and, I swear, she has found the cutest little spots in the city, from Parisian-style cafes to quaint little markets to farm-to-table restaurants nestled among warehouses.  I was in awe!  I even got to see the stunning Peabody Institute library, one of the venues that Brett and Colleen are considering for their wedding reception.  It was breathtaking, and I wish there was a comparable space, besides Riggs, in DC!!!
Milk and Honey, an adorable Baltimore Market

The Peabody Institute Library.  I want Colleen and Brett to have their reception here SO BADLY!!!

I came back to DC on Saturday night, because I had some serious baking to do for our annual Galentine's Day party, inspired by Amy Poehler's uproariously funny Parks & Rec character, Leslie Knope.  I ended up baking mini heart-shaped cherry/cranberry pies with chocolate drizzle, and I was very pleased with how they turned out!! The brunch was on Sunday morning, and, being that there was one savory dish, we essentially gorged ourselves on sweets and mimosas {not complaining}.  It was a great group of ladies, and I'm glad we've made this an annual tradition!
My little pies :)

Lovely ladies!

On Sunday evening, I went over to my parents' house for dinner, and, surprise, my baby bro was there as well!  It is always nice to get the four of us together, particularly since Tim will be flying the coop and moving to NY the first chance he gets after college graduation in May {yikes, I still am in disbelief}.

Yesterday, Monday, was one of the longest work days EVER, because Dan was returning from a 4-day golf trip with some buddies to Arizona.  I missed him terribly while he was gone, and he sure knows how to bring a smile to my face!  I was beaming from ear to ear from the second I walked through his doorway last night. I'm very excited for our Valentine's Day plans, just a nice dinner and exchanging cards.  Last year, I set the precedent of not buying each other gifts for V-Day, opting instead for a funny card contest. It forces us to be creative, and, anyway, who needs more chocolate?!?

I hope you all had a lovely weekend as well!  I couldn't be more excited that this upcoming weekend is yet another long weekend!  Hooray for President's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment